Man Dies From Eating Too Much Black Licorice

THURSDAY, Sept. 24, 2020 (HealthDay News) — A Massachusetts man died from eating too much black licorice, doctors say.

The 54-year-old construction worker ate a bag and half every day for a few weeks, which led to an imbalance in his body’s nutrients that caused his heart to stop, according to the case study in the New England Journal of Medicine, the Associated Press reported.

“Even a small amount of licorice you eat can increase your blood pressure a little bit,” said Dr. Neel Butala, a cardiologist at Massachusetts General Hospital who was involved in the case.

Black licorice contains glycyrrhizic acid, which can cause dangerously low levels of potassium and imbalances in other minerals called electrolytes, the AP reported.

Consuming just 2 ounces of black licorice a day for two weeks could cause a heart rhythm problem, especially for people older than 40, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Copyright © 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.




QUESTION
Salt and sodium are the same.
See Answer


Source link

Leave a Comment:

The Simple Secret to Extreme Health

Subscribe to our Newsletter and get the complete health program for a health you.